Wednesday 22 May 2013

Competition - EDGE Get into games

As part of my personal professional development, it would be a good idea for me to enter competitions and follow live briefs. To that end I wished to enter the EDGE magazine, Get into games competition, the brief was simply to create a game in the Unity game engine based around a specific theme, this year the theme was Do No Harm.

I felt that the competition would have helped further my develop my knowledge of the game engine unity as I would have to learn essential scripts in order to create a playable game. I would also have been able to work with a team as the other team members would have brought in skills I did not have in order to develop the game.

Unfortunately the game never came to fruition due to a number of reasons. First off, there was little communication between the team members and we were unable to create a plan of action beyond the initial ideas stage. Because of this lack of communication no official roles were assigned so nothing was created beyond a couple of initial concept sketches.

Secondly, the deadline was also the end of our Easter holiday break, meaning that we had the Easter holidays to produce our work, now while the free time should have been ideal, some of the team members had in fact gone to visit family over the holidays, which coupled with a lack of communication meant that no further work was produced.

Despite the final product never reaching fruition, I do intend to reuse the concepts discussed at the start of the competition, and develop them into something beyond the brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment