Tuesday 20 March 2012

Alternative Racing Games

Now, I'm not normally fan of Racing games, titles like Gran Turismo and Forza having no interest to me, but I have found I am a fan of racing titles that push the boundaries and show a bit of imagination and create racing environments and events that would not take place in the real world.

My long time favorite of these was Naughty Dog's Jak X: combat racing, a spin off of their Jak and Daxter series on the PS2. Alongside the racing, the game also featured an inter-vehicle combat system that would further add to the challenge, and rich otherworldly environments from the other games in the series. Another major selling point for me was the soundtrack, composed by Dean Menta (ex guitarist of Faith no More) and Billy Howerdel (guitarist of A Perfect Circle) both musicians of whose bands I am a big fan, provided an adrenaline charged atmosphere to the races, each track both fit to the hectic combat and to just cruising down the tracks.





However since upgrading to PS3 I have only played the game on occasion, so my love for racing games has gradually been overtaken by other genres. Although since the PSN hacking, sony offered two free games to players and I downloaded WipeOut HD, the latest installment in the the WipeOut series. 

WipeOut is a long running series of Sci-Fi racing games that sees the player controlling anti-gravity hover-ships, the game also features a prominent Electronic soundtrack by licensed artists ranging from Chemical Brothers to Kraftwerk.


Recently I bought the PS3 racing title, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. Although I knew about the game and had seen it advertised, I had very little knowledge of what the game was about so I initially dismissed it as another racing game. However when I finally got the chance to play the game I was blown away, the game had an insane attitude and featured motorbikes of varying models competing against monster trucks and the cabs of HGVs and other vehicles of varying sizes.

The game also features a wide ranged and varied soundtrack, ranging from thrash metal artists such as Megadeth to drum 'n' bass artists like Pendulum.

No comments:

Post a Comment