Wednesday 15 January 2014

Neuromancer Moodboard


For the practical element of my project I opted to create a game environment based on the 1984 cyberpunk William Gibson novel Neuromancer. In order to create this game environment I needed to identify the aesthetic qualities of the game space.


In order to identify the aesthetic qualities of the game space, I chose to create several moodboards that highlight several aspects of the space that I would be creating. To start I created a moodboard based on the cyberpunk genre, due to Neuromancer being one of the prominent examples of the genre, laying down many of the conventions and staples that the cyberpunk genre follows.


I have used a variety of sources when creating this moodboard, using real life places that embody the cyberpunk aesthetic as well as speculative concept art. A staple of the cyberpunk aesthetic, as can be seen above, is the use of bright neon lights to highlight the advanced technology of a cyberpunk culture. These lights are contrasted against dark backgrounds and poor weather in order to signify the horrible living conditions that the inhabitants of this fiction are forced to reside in.

No comments:

Post a Comment