Saturday 24 September 2011

Character Design: Futuristic Taiwanese Tribal Warrior [part 1]

Hey guys, for this post I will be looking at yet another of my Character Concepts, this time the Futuristic Taiwanese Tribal Warrior.

Now I here you ask, why Taiwanese? Well, the thing is, I love oriental culture and history, particularly far eastern culture. Taiwan has a very rich and interesting tribal history, as well as a long history of outside oppression from China and Japan, dating as far back as the Chinese Dynasties, which still continues with Taiwan under the control of The People's Republic of China, being officially named the Republic of China.

I've chosen to work with a futuristic theme for this character concept because it allows me to incorporate many aspects of Taiwanese history into the character's back story which will in turn influence the character's personality.

As part of my research for this character concept I have been to the royal armouries in Leeds, which has a rather impressive Oriental exhibit. Not only did the armouries allow me to find a selection of weapons, but I also managed to get some environmental photographs.



This type of building would work as the home for the character, and will be a focal point of the main environment.The stone garden below in conjunction with the building above would make an excellent environment for the character to inhabit.


Below are a selection of weapons I feel that are appropriate for a Taiwanese Tribal theme.


These daggers would be the most basic weapons available to the character.


These swords would also likely be used by the character, perhaps used together with the dagger.


The oriental styled bow would be the most commonly available ranged weapon to the character. In a futuristic setting, the bow would contain targeting systems that show the user where their arrow will land. The arrows may also contain a variety of extras, such as explosive arrowheads.


A sword styled like the Japanese katana, may be an elite weapon used by the character that shows great swordsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment