Friday 30 September 2011

Character Concept: Taiwanese Warrior [part 2]

Hey guys, I thought I'd share my initial developments for my Taiwanese Tribal Warrior.

I have collected a selection of inspirational images to help with the development of my character, looking at both Asian tribal apparel and weapons, as well as cyberpunk items and weapons.

Because the concept is set in the future, I am looking into ways of marrying traditional Taiwanese and Far Eastern elements with Cyberpunk settings and technologies.

Below is a selection of images that served as inspiration to the tradition Asian elements of the character.




 As seen here I have looked at samurai armour and weapons, as well as modern clothing that has been influenced by ancient and traditional oriental designs. The reason I have been looking at Japanese inspired designs is because not only is Japan a major influential power today, but also ruled Taiwan from the feudal eras until the end of World War 2, when as part of Japanese surrender, Taiwan was given "Administrative Rule" by China.



Another major influence to my character design is the Taiwanese Heavy Metal band Chthonic. Both their stage outfits and music combine modern Heavy Metal and the Heavy Metal Subculture with Traditional Taiwanese culture and music. The band is also political in nature, strongly supporting Taiwanese independence from Chinese rule, regarding the oppression Taiwan has suffered throughout its history at the hands of Chinese and Japanese oppressors.


 These are my three initial drawing of my character. The one on the left was my very first drawing of her, whilst the one on the right is a slightly more recent and more detailed version. The centre drawing is a brainstorm of ideas for the equipment she will most likely be using. I was originally considering giving her shoulder pads, but as she is an archer, these would only be restrictive, both when using the bow, and in hand to hand combat with the knife and sword. One aspect of her armour I will keep is the plates on her waist that also acts as a tool belt. The plates are based on samurai plate armour and give an obvious traditional oriental element to the character, as does the loose fabric sleeveless shirt she wears.

No comments:

Post a Comment