Friday 25 April 2014

PPP - Extracurricular project: The Misadventures of Prince Jeffrey Webcomic

Hey dudes, outside of college work I am working on a webcomic with my friend Jennifer "Jeff" Maddison on a webcomic we call The Misadventures of Prince Jeffrey, I write the story whilst she provides the artwork and ideas, as well as editing my scripts where necessary.

The Misadventures of Prince Jeffrey is a fantasy adventure comic following the exploits of the titular Prince Jeffrey, a woman who takes it upon herself to rescue kidnapped princesses and other individuals in need, and her wizard companion Timotheus (informally referred to as Wizbitch by the creators)

 Art by Jeff Maddison


The story began life as a joking nickname I gave to Jeff Maddison, however her penchant for drawing characters inspired by herself and her friends, coupled with my tendency to refer to myself as a wizard, led to her doodling the two protagonists. This immediately sparked discussions about the two characters and the adventures they would take, prompting myself to write a short story based on the characters. Although we had discussed the idea of making the characters into a webcomic before this, the short story pushed us to further develop the story of the characters, and prompted us to actually take the webcomic idea to fruition.

I have learned a lot from this project in regards to world building and story writing, as well as a way to write scripts for comics.

I see this webcomic as an opportunity to further develop as a writer and to develop a greater understanding of the work that goes into writing a comic. The project also allows me a greater understanding of what I need to consider when writing for other people.

While the project will primarily be a web based comic,  I am interested in creating possible transmedia elements, including prose short stories and an in-universe style "Prince's Handbook".

Both myself and Jeff hope to see this comic gain a readership and perhaps develop into printed editions, allowing us to take the comic to comics conventions, allowing ourselves greater opportunities as comics creators.

No comments:

Post a Comment